Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Your Life Says It All

In my journey through life, I try to walk with God, to follow after Him/His ways, as best as I can understand how to do that. Along the way, people have been offended at me, misunderstood where I'm coming from, and even at times, attacked me for the way I was/am living. I have learned that I can't control what others think of me, and not to worry about it. As long as I know that the air is clear between me and God, that He is "happy" with where I'm at, I keep on keeping on. Whatever change He wants to bring in me (and in others' lives), He will let me (us) know. He's been "Shepherding" for a very long time. He knows what He's doing, and doesn't require human supervision. :)

There are times when it seems like the air around me is filled with noise. So many voices shouting what they want, think, and feel... demanding equal time for their perspective to be heard. That's cool, but sometimes it only stirs up confusion. When I have spent too much time in my own head, thinking and talking about my opinions and views, I get tired of it. I want to hear God's voice over and above every other voice... including my own. When I hear Him, whether He is correcting or disciplining me or just encouraging me to continue on... His voice is life, hope, peace, joy and love. When He speaks, I know He loves me. I am refreshed, restored, and invigorated just by the sound of His voice.

A neat story...

“The eagle wasn’t always the eagle. Before it became the eagle it was Yukatangee, the Talker. It talked and talked. It talked so much it heard only itself, not the river, not the wind, not even the wolf.

The raven came and said, ‘The wolf is hungry. If you stop talking, you’ll hear him… the wind, too. And when you hear the wind, you’ll fly.’

So it stopped talking, and became its nature… the eagle. The eagle soared. And its flight said all it needed to say.”

Northern Exposure, Season 5
“Birds of a Feather”
character: Marilyn Whirlwind


When we begin to value the sound of His voice above all others, to become still ourselves, and listen to what God is saying... we begin to discover more of who He is, & who we really are in Him. And we are able to take flight. Isaiah 40:31 "Those who hope in Adonai will renew their strength, they will soar aloft as with eagles' wings...". Doing the will of the Father, as Jesus did himself, flows naturally out of the intimacy of being with Him, learning to BE His child, learning to walk in His ways.

People will not always understand or approve. They may judge and criticize. That's alright. Heck, we're all fallen, and in need of God's grace. :) But I'm gonna keep on pressin' deeper in, pressing farther on into the life God's calling me to live in Him. Those who follow after Him, seeking to know the Truth, and live life His way will not be put to shame for doing so. Isaiah 54:4 "Don't be afraid, for you won't be shamed...". At some point, people will begin to see your "flight pattern", and they will realize it really is God at work in you/your life. It's not all about you and me, anyway. It's about Him, people seeing the Lord, and coming to know who He really is, who He really wants to be to us/in our lives.

I'm not saying we never need to speak... preach, teach, and/or share our testimony of who God is to us. I'm saying that sometimes we get in the way of what God is wanting to do. Sometimes, we enjoy the sound of our own voices too much. We, sometimes, give too much thought to what we think, feel, and want; and what others think. Sometimes, in order for others to see Jesus in our lives, all we need to do is shut up and fly.

Live it, breathe it, believe it.


No comments:

Post a Comment